My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://lukesidewalker.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Sidewalker Scissorhands Jr.


Sidewalker Jr.'s adventures at school are continuing a pace. His coin finding/dinner money shakedowns have slowed, which is a good sign. He seems to be enjoying the experience and he delights us with random words in Spanish and pointing out various mammals from time to time. They seem to have a really diverse curriculum for the youngsters, either that, or Jr. is only paying attention for 25% of the time.

The other day when I picked him up his teacher said, "I'm sorry about Jr.'s hair Mr. Sidewalker." I haven't got the keenest eye for detail and apart from looking a little ruffled the mop on top of his head seemed much the same as normal...until he turned to the side. I thought, "that's funny he didn't have a receding hairline on the right hand side this morning at breakfast!" His teacher went on to explain they were doing some scissor work in art class and Jr. had thought it a good opportunity to give his fringe a trim. I had to explain to him that we get haircuts at the barbers and not in the classroom. I asked him if he would do it again. He replied, "No, because everyone laughed at him." Not quite the answer I was looking for but it is a step in the right direction.

We will shortly be celebrating Jr.'s birthday. He thinks he is getting a toy aircraft carrier for his present. I have different ideas. He will forever remember this birthday as the year he got a haircut for a present! Maybe that will help the lesson sink in...

A harsh lesson? Perhaps. A necessary lesson? Definitely. The haircut costs 66% of the Sidewalker Fund.

Have a great weekend...


-Luke Sidewalker
-Current balance $23.78

5 comments:

Lex said...

When I was a kid, I cut my hair on picture day. My parents thought it would be a great (harsh) lesson to frame the picture and place in our living room for YEARS. Friends, relatives, and ex-girlfriends were entertained on my expense. So I feel for Sidewalker Jr. And from the sounds of it, the Sidewalkers and my parents have the same disciplinary thoughts.

I think if I look hard enough, I could still find that framed picture someplace in my parents house.

Have a great weekend...

Hoboken Paddler said...

I remember those days - all I wanted was a GI Joe aircraft carrier. Never got it. Still resentful.

Liz Mays said...

If you give him a haircut for his birthday, he will never forget it, ever, ever, ever.

But, I'm still rooting for the aircraft carrier.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Yes, a truly harsh lesson. I personally thought he was showing ingenuity and creativity. Just a chip off the old block. Love those kids who follow to a beat of a different drummer.

The Silver Age Sara said...

I had to come back and let you know that when I clicked this post, Adsense came back suggesting I click "haircuts like the Beckham's" so perhaps Google is aware of some innate talent in Sidewalker, Jr.

Post a Comment

 
JustMemo - Free Web Directory Listing